Saturday, December 20, 2008

The end of another GREAT camp!

December's camp absolutely FLEW by, I cannot believe three weeks is gone! During the months of November and December we had 'mini' boot camps out at the park. Due to the holidays, the camps in November and December were each three weeks long (as opposed to four). It ended up being 15 workouts instead of the usual 18. Even though our campers have had 1 less week and 3 less workouts, we have still seen tremendous improvements in their overall endurance and health. The campers never cease to amaze me with their positive attitudes and consistent pushing forward. We battled some not so ideal weather conditions this month. The first week was cold, the second week was wet and the third week was a little warmer, but still damp. The campers still showed up and gave their all. They make my job easy :)

The first day of camp, the campers are timed in a mile run and then see how many sit-ups, push-ups and tricep dips they can do in a minute. The last day of camp they do the same routine, this measurement is an awesome way to see improvements. We see leaps and bounds in the endurance and strength of our campers. It is a true testament to our program! My first month as a bootcamper was back in April. My first mile time was around 10:40. The end of my first month, my mile time was 9:08 - huge improvements!!! I had not timed my mile since the end of my second camp, but up until yesterday my fastest mile was 9:08. I ran the mile yesterday as a "rabbit" for my roommate. She wanted to get under a 9:00 minute mile and my job was to make sure she did. During the run I stayed just far enough ahead of her so she could see me, I kept watch to make sure she was staying with me. When I crossed the finish line the time called out was 8:45 - I was ecstatic!! I just ran my fastest mile EVER!! Amanda crossed 6 seconds behind me at 8:51 - her fastest mile also, absolutely amazing!!!

At the end of every camp we take a picture with the group. Here is our "graduation" picture for the month of December. Congrats to all of our bootcampers on an awesome end to 2008!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment